Saturday, October 10, 2026

Here, Finally


I almost missed the image because I was trying to follow the crowd and got distracted by the conveyor type of steps, leading to the main section of the church. A Mass was ongoing. When I noticed some people looking up and taking pictures, I followed their sight and there She was. 

The Basilica was designed quite interestingly. Coz entering into the main church you would pass by this miraculous image of the Our Lady of Guadalupe hung up the wall. Then you enter the main church and you see that the image is at the centre of the main altar.  


It was the exchange of peace taking place when we got inside. I felt the tears come, knowing how fortuitous everything is for me, being here. I felt the urge to take communion but that would not have been right. We arrived when it was already towards the end of the Mass. 

It is the jubilee year for when the Basilica was built. There were too many people. Some were lying on the church grounds, showing signs of having been there for days.  

We went to see the old church which is just at the back of the Basilica. I wanted to climb up Tepeyac Hill where the apparition took place and where there's another chapel, but I hesitated because my colleagues might have other plans. Good thing most of us decided to do so. 


It was quite a climb. For someone who's still jetlagged and have yet to sleep, it wasn't so bad. 


Midway, I made a wish for myself and for a friend's who specifically told me so...



There are several steps towards the top of Tepeyac Hill. I did not occur to me to count how many. 


The old chapel up the hill.


No comments: