Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What's in a brand?

I just found out that the brand of coffee that my mother enjoys (and so we have a common supply at home) is from a company that has been repeatedly accused of unjust labor practices.  Of which, the most alarming is their turning a blind eye on illegal and forced child labor rampant in their cocoa farms.  It had been reported that as many as 100,000 child laborers are working in hazardous conditions on these farms.  There were even reported cases wherein children between 9 and 12 years old are tricked or sold into slavery to these farms for just $30 each. (http://www.laborrights.org/creating-a-sweatfree-world/ethical-consumerism/news/)

Researching further into the matter, I found out that there are other big corporations, carrying "well-loved" brands of common household items, that are guilty of committing and/or indirectly propagating (by simply not doing anything) one form of injustice or the other.  The act ranges from “mere” unjust labor practices to destroying outright entire village’s means of living by depleting their water source or hampering agricultural activities and practices. 

I sit here and I realized I would never look at a cup of coffee the same way again.  Or, look at a rack of clothes without questioning whether these were made by children, a little older than my son, under the most hazardous conditions. 

Being vegetarians, my husband and I (most specially me) are particular about spending our money on meat.  Every now and then we make allowances for cousins and family members (but it rarely ever happens) and put out a meat dish on celebrations we hold at home or host somewhere.  I am adamant about putting out money (hard and honestly-earned) that would inadvertently support the entire “process” needed in order to put meat on the table.   Learning about all these injustices practiced by big corporations out there for profit’s sake is making me look at things at a much bigger perspective.

Oh, I’ve learned about sweatshops since I was a kid and even then I was loathed about these practices.  But I wasn’t really as conscious about it as I am now.  Before, I’m only too happy to receive imported goods from my well-meaning parents, relatives and friends.  I don’t remember questioning at all whether those where sourced out from sweatshops somewhere.   

Now, the question of where I put my money in is not as simple as it was before.  If the whole idea of unjust slaughter practices has defined my choices in the past, how much more the thought of all these things?

I’m thinking now that it really pays to be a lot more aware of the things going on around us.  Modern life has dumped on us a whole “busy” lifestyle that we go through our days rushing from one thing to another.  We are too consumed by ticking off items from a long-list of “to-do’s” and “urgent’s” that we resort to “shortcuts” and anything “instant” to make our days a lot more manageable. 

There is also hardly any time left for questioning things.  There hardly is any time for that.  Keeping track of friends’ status messages on facebook is time-consuming enough as it is (sticking my tongue out to myself).  There is hardly any time left sitting idly and thinking about whether the factories where my favorite soda is made have employees that were tortured as a form of intimidation just to prevent them from putting up unions. 

Informed choice.  I am not perfect and perfection is not something I devote myself and time to.  I am serious about the unfolding of my own truth however, and that of helping my loved ones and those closest to me unfold theirs as well.  I cannot guarantee that I would always make the right choices or that I would not let my own drama get the better of me.  But, knowing things, becoming more aware of things is a responsibility I could very well embrace just so I could “gift” myself the ability to make informed choices. 

On that note, I think I would have to sit down with my son again and “inform” him of these things.  Definitely I wouldn’t coerce him into making “big” decisions, far beyond his six-year old mind could comprehend.  But, I would tell him stories about how certain decisions and choices are made and why Nanay is preferring this particular brand over the other.  I’m afraid we would have to do a major “overhaul” of what goes into our cupboard at home and that would have to be explained.  

No comments: