So at mid day today, I sat for agonising hours as I waited for my most recent SoAs from the 2 banks I have accounts in. (Don't be quick on assuming they both have substantial deposits
I was actually calm and patient as I waited. At one point I worried about work as there was one online meeting I really wanted to listen in, but for once, I didn't have my laptop with me. I worried more about where to find/buy a "highlighter" in the middle of Makati CBD without incurring more time than what I could spare for. I have a flight to catch after all. The Embassy specified though that I have to highlight a particular item in the SoA. Good thing I asked the officer assisting me if he has one. He handed me a neon blue, Stabilo one. Perfect!
I hurried back to the Embassy when I got ally documents. I was surprised when I was asked to come back by 3 PM. No one is allowed to linger outside so I decided to look for food since I haven't eaten all day. I have noted when I booked my grab ride earlier that there's a Yardstick Cafe near the Embassy so I decided to look for it. I have always been direction challenged, even with Google map. So I got lost twice. In going to it and getting back to the Embassy. Amazing how confident I sauntered towards what I thought was the general location of the Embassy but I was completely going towards the opposite direction. (Palm on forehead moment).
When I got back to the Embassy, I was told they were looking for me as it was already 15 minutes passed. I was nervous because how come it is this quick? In a day? It took us ages to get a confirmed appointment. And we also had to comply with 101++ supporting documents, one being "wet-inked-signed." The hosting affiliate had to mail it to us, halfway around the world. And, I was asked for additional requirements from the banks. I've done countless visa runs (including for the UK and Schengen) but it was never this tough. Perhaps they have their reasons and their policies and we definitely honour that. So I thought, it must be a rejection then. Then lo and behold, the stamp reads, "multiple entries." I was pleasantly surprised.
But that was not what made it magical though. Awhile back, I was counting my blessings on having had the opportunity to visit Mary's House in Turkey, Lourdes, Fatima and the Black Madonna in Montserrat. Except for Turkey, I've been blessed to have heard Mass in all of them. Mass in Catalan in Montserrat; Portuguese in Fatima; and thankfully, English in Lourdes. And there had been other opportunities as well -- English Mass at Divine Mercy Shrine in Krakow; having been to Familia Sagrada twice, heard Mass in one of those instance; and having been to the Holy Infant Shrine in Prague, the convent of St. Teresa in Avila. So many blessings.
While in this line of thought, I told myself, how lovely to have a chance to visit Our Lady of Guadalupe too, but how? Mexico is too far away. It would require a visa and a considerable amount of money for flights and other travel expenses. Then something magical happened. In less than a month, I was surprised to learn that the Our Lady of Guadalupe is on pilgrimage and that her image would be visiting the city's cathedral. Less than a month when I've expressed that desire to see her too! It was a bit difficult to schedule but Forest and I managed to go hear Mass at the San Pedro Cathedral when her image was there. I even bought a pañolito with her image and prayer on it to mark the experience.
But imagine in a few weeks after that, I was told that a scheduled meeting in Bangkok was moved somewhere else? And that it is going to be in Mexico? It was surreal. It felt like God was telling me, "Kala mo yun na yun? Hindi pa. I'll take you to the country where the apparition happened. The way you were able to be at Fatima and at Lourdes."
Even then, I was too scared to even trust 100% that I would be able to go. (Yes, me and my little faith! I should be ashamed really!) I was thinking, there's the visa that had to be worked out still and I just might not get it. Even now, as I sit here on the flight back home, and knowing that in the overhead bin is my backpack that has my passport with the visa stamped on it, I still worry instead of just marvel at the miracle of it all. Such grace.
Thank you, God. I guess my fears are not because I am doubting You but more like I am doubting myself. Sino naman ako, Lord? To deserve all these? Sobra-sobrang biyaya! Siksik na siksik na at umaapaw. Everyday, when I wake up with a roof over my head, in a house where I could breathe easy and surrounded by the many testaments of how You're working wonders into my life.. I feel so unworthy. I know Your work with, and on me is not done yet. If it's not too much to ask again, do grant me the grace to be able to do justice to all these blessings. I know I'm still doubtful, Lord. But I am extremely grateful. 
No comments:
Post a Comment