Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Italian Resto and Climbing Nostalgia

Fresh from our recollection, I went to the office on Wednesday - April 12 - even though it was declared a holiday. There were reports I had to finish so... While there, I received a text from a friend who was already working in Cebu telling me she's in town for the summer climb.

Summer Climb. That sure had me thinking. It dawned on me -- everybody, except B and I are getting ready for the summer climb. The thought passed quickly though. I have long accepted our situation. I have come to accept that I, we, have to settle a bit for a while to be with our son. And just looking at my son's beautiful face - who also happened to be at the office with me then - all my "restlessness" fades.

Bolo and Baby arrived at the office just as I was finishing up on my report. Suzette, my friend who's in town, will be meeting with me there. Being a close friend of ours and one who has been very much a part of our relationship, Bolo and I were quite eager to "show off" to Suzette our little, cute bundle of joy :)

As it was indeed the climbing season, everyone seemed to be bent on borrowing some of our climbing stuff. As they still needed some sorting out, Bolo and I decided to let Suzette meet us at Edge instead. Some of our stuff - my personal tent included - are there.

Suzette and I were already chatting when I received a text from another friend - Jeni - who wanted to meet with me. So we all converged at the shop and did some catching up. There were much "climbing talk" going about and I just smiled ruefully knowing I wouldn't be a part of it for now. Bolo and I were quite eager to lend some of our stuff to a few trusted friends, as if to console ourselves that at least our stuff will make it all the way to Apo's peak hahaha! The shop was filled with energy from those who have just arrived from Apo, energized and from those who were brimming with excitement and anticipation for the climb the following day. Their enthusiasm was contagious and I practically basked in it.

After a while we got "persuaded" to dine at our favorite Italian Resto - La Toscana. Yeah right, as if we still needed some coaxing. Since Suzette still had to buy some stuff, we agreed to meet with her there later. She had to accompany us home since she's borrowing a headlamp and some headgear.

La Toscana. What could be more heavenly than having some good conversation over some really good Vegetarian pasta and pizza prepared in authentic Italian way? I was so grateful for the experience that when I prayed over our meal, I thanked God for giving Jeni the resources to treat us that day haha! :) The smells were heavenly and the taste... ahh, they were more than twice the heavenly. I'm salivating even now remembering the whole thing.

While munching on the usual antipasto - gralic bread dipped in some olive oil and balsamic vinegar - I decided to let Baby RL share in the experience by allowing him to "lightly" munch on a piece of bread. As it was quite coarse, I just let it touch his lips and gums so lightly. But to all our amazement, he cried in frustration. He showed every indication of wanting to gobble up the whole thing. As it was his first brush with solid food yet, I was quite hesitant to let him do just that. It partly broke my heart to have him so frustrated. I told him it wasn't good for him and so he would have to deal with his frustrations for now. I told him that encountering some frustration is part of life. (Yeah right! As if a lecture on life and frustration could ease a four-month-old's wanting to nibble some more on a piece of "texture-full" bread hehehe) My heart broke at the thought of it. I felt that I would protect Baby from all sorts of pain if only I could. Anyway, it wasn't helping that Jeni was edging him on and commenting on the sidelines that "Nanay is not much fun."

Huh! :) Not much fun indeed! She lectured me that babies enjoy experiencing different kinds of flavor and texture with their mouth. I told her I've read enough about the subject to know that not all "flavors" will do at the onset of introducing solid food to a baby. I told her, it has to be done carefully as it wil greatly influence their eating habits later on in life. Blah, blah, blah we both went hehehe. But the experience did showed me that Baby RL is just about ready to take on some solid food...

Ah, and something interesting took place while we're dining. I practically breastfed Baby right then and there. It was good that the resto was pretty intimate and there was just us there and another couple. I was discreet about the whole thing though with both Bolo and I making sure that I still remained pretty much covered up :) That solicited some teasing from Jeni though coining the term, "virgin" Mom. Oh well, I am all for breastfeeding but I still want to remain "discreet" about it just the same. Oh, but of course, it goes without saying that keeping baby from being hungry is on top of our priorities, my discomfort notwithstanding.

Hmm... first the Marco Polo and then now, an Italian Resto? Hmm... quite a "sosyal" baby we have here hehehe I just hope he turns out to be like his Tatay and I who is quite as happy to much on a piece of "bulad" on some muddy part of a trail in a middle of nowhere, as sitting in a posh restaurant enjoying some decent meal :)

No comments: