Sunday, February 07, 2016

IQ Chronicles: You Saved Me

I found two gems today. It was a very productive day. I am tired but I feel fulfilled. A lot took my attention today as there were a myriad tasks but I feel grateful that I did not feel rushed or anything. It's as if I was flowing exactly as I should.

One of today's gem happened while I was consolidating FGD results. Some two weeks ago, I had my first field visit for the year. I had 3 FGD session in 3 of the villages we were working in. They were all with women. They were beneficiaries of our cash for work project. It was our first attempt at engaging the women to do the actual work. Given the context, it was quite challenging to involve the women themselves.

What happened in the past is that while we prioritise women-headed households since they are amongst the most vulnerable, they nominated a male member of the household to do the work for them. At the end of it though, the earned "wage" would go to the women. In those cases, the men, more often than not, get a portion of the pay. After all, it is them who do the work.

This time though, we started with engaging the women themselves. Consultations were conducted to help decide on the type of work that is not only suitable but acceptable to them.

I was more than excited to be facilitating the FGDs myself. I knew I would be learning a lot. There were some significant questions I've wanted to ask. I'm excited to learn about what the women thought of the entire experience. I wanted to find out how the engagement "impacted" their lives, if in fact it did.

I remember how I felt then, driving back to the office. I was of course grateful for the experience. I felt thankful to be in the position I am now. Everything was a blur after that. With so much deliverables competing with my time, the conversations I had with the women was soon forgotten. Until today.

I had to finish my report of the FGDs so I dug out my notes. I was intent about capturing significant quotes from the women and so I lost myself in my notes. Then I came to the question, "Is there anything you did not like about the intervention?" Most, if not all, of the women were saying there was nothing they did not like about it. Then one woman said, "You saved me." 

There it was on my notes. Staring at the sentence, I felt my world stop. My heart skipped a beat.

I've never had grand illusions about my job. I always felt grateful to be making a contribution in my own little way. At the same time I know how little it is, hardly making a dent where ensuring sustainable gains is concerned. But that statement brings home to me the fact that a little gesture makes a whole lot of difference in another person's life. And it's such a humbling thought. 

No comments: