Sunday, February 28, 2016

Conversations

Today's gem is more related to the homefront than work related.  And I must add, it had been quite a while since we've had this kind of a gem.

Tatay went caving last Saturday.  He had a great time and I was really happy about that and for him. It's Sunday, so while it is the beginning of work-week for me, it's actually a weekend at home.  So during breaks, he and the children would sneak in a Skype call.  At one of these calls Tatay joked, "Why haven't you liked my facebook post on the pictures from the caving yet? You would be the 1,000th liker by the time you would!"

He rarely ever posts anything in social media so I figured the photos (of him, most likely than not), must be really good.  And so I checked it out later that day. True enough, I loved him in those photos.  He looked so carefree and happy.

Our evening conversation was mostly on what happened during the caving.  I asked him if it was the same one we went to a few years back.  One of the photos looked familiar.  He told me that it is a different one.  I asked if he could take me there and he said he would love to.  I asked if it's okay for the children and he told me he isn't quite sure about that. He said we could perhaps go when I arrive and I told him I have a very short homestay and would want to spend it more with the kids.

We just bantered on and on until I realised how we haven't had this kind of conversation for a long time.  I immediately pointed it to Tatay.  I told him it is refreshing and happy to be talking that way again. I told him it was made possible because of the fact that he did something for himself, apart from a "you-and-me" experience.  I said that is why it is important for us to be doing things differently and be involved with individual pursuits so we could bring something new to the relationship.  Then I added that, that is also why he should allow me to explore a bit, on my own.  So I can also bring in something to the table and have something exciting to share with him as well.

Typical of him, he readily pointed out that yesterday, I also called him up to share about my incident with the child in Kirkuk.  He said I do not necessarily have to venture out to be able to share with him something.  I told him, I would also love to share something fun and exciting with him.  Then he countered, he really wanted me to travel as well and do something exciting but what worries him is how safe I would be.  It sounded cheesy but knowing him, I know he meant it sincerely.  He then pointed out that I am traveling again real soon for a leisure kind and that he's okay with it albeit with reservations. Oh and yeah, I've traveled in the past for leisure where he's not with me and it's fine.  In most cases though I was with family so I guess he's okay with it.  But yeah, I'm certainly looking forward to having more conversations with him.


No comments: