Saturday, June 30, 2018

Letter to Rod who's 12


There was this (see the memory below). Now, we hardly speak to each other as he is starting to shape a world of his own. 
I love you, Rod. I always will. In a few months, you'll be a full fledged teen. I know I have to accept the fact that you are slowly moving away from Nanay's lap as you try to find your way into the world. Know that I am always here to support you in every way.
As I often say, "Kung ano pa man yan (whatever you find/identify yourself to be, wherever you may find yourself in), our love and acceptance would always be there" If there are things that would prove to be confusing, let us be confused together. You might want to find the answers on your own and that is fine. But, should you want someone's hand to hold on to while you are doing so or an embrace to draw strength from, mine, Tatay's and Lola's are always here to engulf you for as long as you want.
It's not always easy letting go and at times, I miss our closeness like this and the time I was always your hero. But as you said, you are growing up and we have to learn to let go. I am just grateful we still have our heartfelt conversations,no matter how far in between these days. Let's keep that up ha? I miss you.

Spent an afternoon of gardening with the kiddos. When I urged them to plant one kind of vegetable each, Rod came up to me and said, "Ano yung ayaw mo na plant, Nay?" Not quite getting what he's driving at, I asked him what he meant. He rephrased pointing at the different seeds at our feet, "Ano yung di special sa yo?"
I wondered if he's into the "rebelling" stage already, wanting to do something I would hate. Probably noting my confusion he explained, "Baka kasi mamatay, 'Nay. Buti na yung di special sa 'yo." And my heart melted right through. I chided myself for ever doubting my son. 'Love you, Rod. Thank you for being so thoughtful and mindful of Nanay's feelings 
He ended up planting pechay, not actually a "non-favorite" but ranked less in priority this week, compared to arugula, lettuce and cherry tomatoes  Forest planted the latter and she looked adorable dropping seeds in pre-readied recycled cans and watering them after. It was my niece-daughter, Janin who stuck with me till the end, planting arugula and basil 
Thank you, God for a glorious Sunday afternoon

No comments: