Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Traveling Light with the Perfect Guide

Just came in from a meeting. We talked about some project concerns. Those concerns, thankfully, had been addressed pretty well. All had been settled. Not only that. I also came out of that meeting a little bit richer from the learning I have gained.

While wrapping up on our session, one person we’re with candidly shared some of his experiences at work while he was still starting out. Some of those where success stories of the things he had accomplished while doing community work. One of those stories pertain to his experiences with the Aeta-Manobos. He related how it was difficult to organize them given that they are basically nomadic in culture. He said that the Manobo’s do not accumulate assets. They would only keep to the basics. And basics spell out – one “caldero” for cooking their food and one “tabo” to use for drinking. That and nothing more. This, owing to the fact that they are constantly on the move. Accumulating assets more than that would have meant a cumbersome journey and they only meant to travel light.

That struck me. Yesterday, I’ve been basically bogged down by a lot of emotional baggage. Had had too many worries to contend with. Let’s just say I wallowed in uncertainties yesterday, not quite knowing whether I ought to move forward or to go try another path. It concerned my work really and some issues I’m having with it at the moment. Let’s just say that they were really unfounded worries, just some anxieties that I allowed to grow out of perspective in my head. And hearing about the Manobo’s and their habits of traveling light made me realize that traveling light can also be pretty much applied to one’s state of mind.

Carrying far too much baggage is tantamount to making your life’s journey far too complicated than it already is. It would be like putting in far too many suitcases on top of your head while you are trying to maneuver your way in life. I wonder how does one make sound decisions, when there are far too many obstructions covering your view?

Yesterday, my soul was not in peace. I allowed my fears and concerns to disconcert me. I was like trying to scare myself out of my own doing. It was such a heavy feeling to have. Today I am reminded that I needed to travel light. That I need not carry on far too many burdens. There’s no sense allowing my fear and uncertainties to unrest me. Today, I am reminded that all I really needed in life are simple things, enough to get me by. There’s no sense in making my life more complicated than it already is. It all boils down to choices really. Making the right ones that is. And at the moment, I’m opting to travel light. No more wallowing on uncertainties. Worries are far too heavy a burden to carry around all day. I really would just have to continue clinging on my faith - faith that God is in control and that He is sure to set things accordingly.

This morning, when I woke up, I felt the urge to read the Bible that had always been lying, seldomly opened, at my bedside table. And I did. Immediately, I felt God’s comfort as I read the first verse that I had come to. His message was clear, that He is always with me and that I am not alone in my personal battles. The comfort I had felt this morning was like a cloak that covered my entire being all through out today. And He did not just stop there. He peppered my day with learning and assurances from the conversations I’ve had with the persons I came in contact with today. Truly, He is a loving God and He watches over His flock quite tenderly and protectively. I could not thank Him enough.

No comments: