Saturday, May 17, 2008

John Ford Coley!!!

I sat there in the darkness feeling a lot of things all at the same time. I felt excited, exhilarated, and happy to be where I was while another part of me was transported to another time. I felt being pulled by memories of high school days wherein some of my classmates and I would just spend hours listening to music.

We were such a happy bunch. Being on the “honor class” meant we were all (well, at least trying to be) serious about learning and studying. But, our thirst for knowledge was in no way only limited to our textbooks or the four corners of our classroom. We were also very passionate about a lot of things. This includes the arts, music. I remember how we would also excel in extracurricular activities – winning caroling contests, speech competitions, with our representatives emerging champions in quiz bees, spelling bees and all that stuff.

Last night, listening to John Ford Coley croon and sing songs reminiscent of that time, I grew nostalgic. I wished my former classmates were there with me to watch the concert. In high school, we would spend hours crouching on our karaoke unit playing tapes. England Dan and John Ford Coley were just two of them. We were crazy about the Bread too, Air Supply, the Beatles Lobo, New Wave, Spandau Ballet, 70’s hits, even the 60’s… Our music preferences were pretty broad and varied. There were also moments when we’d take to rock music.

But it was England Dan and the Bread that I remember the most distinctly. We knew the lyrics by heart. We would exchange tapes, listen to them on hours end. At home, I would practice playing them on my guitar. I know I’ll never be as good as David Gates or JFC but being able to play and finish their songs were one of my happiest moments then. Until now I listen to them. They were among the very first CDs I bought for my collection.

Remembering all of these things made me grateful last night. I was grateful for the fact that I grew up in such kind of environment. I felt grateful for the persons that surrounded me then. I felt grateful for the kind of friendships and relationships forged then, something we still keep until now. I felt that we were all so lucky to be growing up in such a “right” environment.

Teen-age life is a crazy moment in any individual’s life. Everything is just so confusing. At this period we are still trying to define who we are, and what we really want to be. We get obsessed about fitting in, being normal, that we would take on anything to be ours or identify ourselves with all sorts of things. All, in our effort to find ourselves. I am grateful that even in this crazy time, I was surrounded with persons who have such great souls – intelligent, smart, engaging, interesting, a bit crazy at times but generally with a good head over their shoulders. We never got into experimenting with alcohol or drugs or anything of the sort.

But back to the concert last night, when JFC sang “Make it with You” I was definitely floored. I felt like swooning, cannot believe my good fortune. There I was thinking also of David Gates and the Bread and there was JFC playing and singing one of their songs that’s also a favorite of mine.

It was a magical night alright. The show was great. It could still be better if it had been longer and if he’d played all of their songs but yeah, I was very grateful for the experience and the fact that I was able to witness him sing first hand. I wish I could lend do this blog the magical feeling I got last night every time JFC would get into one of his intro’s. The crowd would cheer each time, recognizing the songs just by their intro’s alone. I know like me, they were also probably remembering some earlier times in their lives when everything is so simple, so innocent, so pure and true. Ah, last night was simply magical.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tata! Nice blog.
Are you referring to John Ford Coley's concert last May 17 at The Venue, Davao City?
I was there, it was full-packed.
JFC said that among his Asian Tours, Davao concert was his best experience. He loved the audience.
Im sure JFC would be really happy to read this.
Thanks for this blog, Tata!

-events.frequency@gmail.com

Tata said...

Hi! Yeah I was referring to the May 17 JFC Concert at the Venue hehehe It was indeed full-packed :) And It's good to know JFC loved his Davao Audience at that time, I did too! hehehe the way the crowd would belt out the songs together and in tune yet! It was indeed great :)