Thursday, January 28, 2016

Christmas Gift

Today I wore Tatay's Christmas gift. I thought it significant to blog about it because of the story behind it.

Come Christmas time, Tatay presented me with a card with an apology note in it saying it's all he got me for now. It was littered with I love you's and that would have been enough. Instead, I pouted and acted hurt. I told him, he knew weeks in advance I was coming home for Christmas. I pointed out we've been apart for months he could have made the effort.

In truth I was really hurt by it. The card was much appreciated of course. I love it so much. Only, I felt underappreciated. Of course I wasn't looking for a very expensive gift. I never care much for it. I was actually looking more for the indication that he had put much thought into it, given our situation lately, being apart and all.

They just the thing. He thought I was expecting for something really expensive. So before I knew it, he went out of the house, drove downtown to go to the mall to pick me up a gift. And it was this pair of jeans, a 100++-dollar pair of jeans.

Imagine my dismay. I'm never one for buying really expensive clothes and shoes. Sure I splurge a bit on sports shoes but that is totally necessary. But your usual getup for casual wear, I'd be more than happy putting on a 300-peso jeans. Something expensive would have me think about how wasteful it is and how I could have just saved the money for a plane ticket to somewhere.

But there it was, a nicely wrapped MANGO jeans, the price equivalent of which is even more that Forest's monthly school fee :p but yeah, sure appreciate much the gesture. But yes, Tatay, I would never put much value on the price tag. I'd be more than happy receiving a pair of winter gloves coz it would tell me you put much thought into what I would be needing back here.

Thank you just the same, Tatay.  It's much appreciated. I love you.

No comments: