Saturday, April 07, 2007

Apo

Earlier this afternoon, Bolo leaned to me and pointed out two acquaintances of his carrying big packs on their back, looking every bit the mountaineers they are. We were on our way out of Kidapawan City. Compared to them, we were...err... very "neatly" dressed, and snuggly seated inside Jeni's uncle's van. It's a long story, how we got there. But, I certainly am pleased to have found myself in Apo's midst despite all the odds.

Last Wednesday, Bolo and I went to Baby's pedia for his immunization shot. We were there for another reason though. We wanted to ask his "blessings" for what would be Baby's first "mountain experience." We were quite vague the first time we asked if it's okay to have Baby climb a mountain. When he asked, "Which mountain?" I knew there's no beating around the bush with him anymore. When we replied, "Apo," his response was quick -- "Ay huwag muna! Baka di niya kayanin ang lamig doon!" (Oh! Not yet! He might not be able to stand the cold .)

We knew that was coming so while we were a bit disappointed by his response, we were somewhat prepared for it already. Well, in truth, I knew Bolo and I were both "relieved" somewhat to hear what he said. Relieved since it gave us an excuse not to go altogether.

If truth be told, we are hardly prepared to drag Baby all the way to Apo's peak. As Bolo would put it -- it meant we would have to bring gallons upon gallons of distilled water for his feeding needs alone. On top of that, we would have to spend some extra time in the morning to sterilize his bottles. Either that or we buy extra bottles to meet the "16 bottles" requirement of a 4-day stay in the mountains. We would have to sterilize the 16 bottles prior to the climb, have them individually wrapped, very securely, to ensure non-contamination. Imagine all of that!

I knew the thought alone was giving Bolo the horrors. So while he was indulgent in having me talk about "alternatives" and possible "strategies" to make it a lot easier for us to tag Baby along, I knew his decision would be -- us not going at all...

I was asleep while we were on our way down from Lake Agko (yup, we've been to Apo after all but not in the way we would have wanted it to be), so I hardly noticed we were already in Kidapawan and stopping by to purchase its really...hmm... "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" garlic bread. Ay! Believe me, it was that good! Thanks to Jeni, now I know where to find the best tasting garlic bread I've ever had. I'll keep this particular information at the back of my head for reference during future trips to that part of Mindanao.

Anyway, Bolo must have found some time to chat with some mountaineers who were also on their way home. Because when he spotted those acquaintances of his, he shared to me how they're a couple and that they left their son at home so they could go to Apo. His tone imply that he found the whole thing... incredulous! Hehehe when he told me that, I turned from him to look at Baby Bolets who is nestled contentedly in his lap and who is "gurgling" happily away as he looks at everything that he sees outside the window.

I know I could never fault any couple who might want some time for themselves... those who would want to indulge in what they both love to do as a couple sans the kids who would have to be momentarily left at home in order for them to do just that. But, I sure felt happy to note that Bolo shared my feeling that it's not worth going anywhere without Baby around.

Oh, Bolo and I do set aside some time for ourselves. Once a month or so, we would watch movies together, just the two of us... Sometimes we would sneak a few hours away from Baby to spend some time alone together, visiting a favorite bar and enjoying a couple of drinks... But both of us, to be gone four days in a row?

At the moment, it is really unthinkable for us. We both knew we wouldn't enjoy any long trips anyway, having to constantly worry about Baby. While we both recognize that in order for us to strengthen our relationship the more, he and I should set aside some "couple-time" for us... we also acknowledge the fact that when Baby became a part of our lives, we embraced him with all of our hearts and readily rearranged our lives to include him.

It's hard to explain really... It's just that we strongly feel about having Baby with us constantly... Oh of course, Bolo has his personal time too to spend with his friends and so do I (though I hardly take any hehehe). It's just that it is difficult for either of us to be apart from Baby for so long. We would easily miss him. Bolo had been on a four-day trekking trip once. And on the fourth day, he was like ready to fly back home...

Yeah, we are certainly that attached to Baby. Once Bolo and I examined our feelings on the matter and we both agreed that the reason behind this is that, we knew the time would come when Baby would be fully grown up and would be wanting some time for himself. We knew that a few years down the line, Baby would prefer to have the company of his friends over ours. So we're like taking advantage of the time when he thinks we are his world... as selfish as that may sound... As it is, he is growing up very fast before our very eyes...

Oh, Baby, if your Tatay and I could only express how much we love you... there wouldn't be enough blog space to write everything on :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

san? san? san yung garlic bread na masarap? para pag dadaan kami ng kidapawan alam ko hehehe

Tata said...

hey! it's so nice of you to comment in here :) btw, i also read your blog over at multiply every chance i get :)

as for that garlic bread, im afraid i was still half-asleep at that time. i had to txt my friend to tell me the name of the store. it escapes her at the moment too... although, she told me it is the only pizzeria in Kidapawan by the road... hope that is helpful enough :)

Tata said...

Ay! Finally got the name of the store -- Pizza Haus! I feel like saying, "Duh! How obvious can it get?" hehehe The label says it is located in front of the Shell Station by the highway.

The bread tastes good even when cold (we kept ours in the fridge for it to last longer). But it's tastier with a thin spread of butter and toasted :)