Friday, June 15, 2007

How Can I Not Love You? (Anna and the King)



How Can I Not Love You

Cannot touch, Cannot hold, Cannot be together
Cannot love, Cannot kiss, Cannot love eachother
Must be strong and we must let go
Cannot say what our hearts must know

Chorus:
How can I not love you
What do I tell my heart
When do I not want you here in my arms
How does one walks away
From all of the memories
How do I not miss you when you are gone

Cannot trip, Cannot share sweet and tender moments
Cannot feel how we feel, Must pretend it's over
Must be brave and we must go on, Must not say
Wat we no longer long

Chorus:
How can I not love you
What do I tell my heart
When do I not want you here in my arms
How does one walks away
From all of the memories
How do I not miss you when you are gone

How can I not love you

Bridge:
Must be brave and we must be strong
Cannot say what we no longer long

Chorus:
How can I not love you
What do I tell my heart
When do I not want you here in my arms
How does one walks away
From all of the memories
How do I not miss you when you are gone

How can I not love you
When you are gone...




Above is one of my favorite movies of all time. I chanced upon it while surfing Youtube for U2's "Stuck in the Moment" which I also like very much, by the way :)

This movie and the song reminds me so much of a particular moment in my life. I was just about to write -- "reminds me of a particular person." Upon deeper introspection, it's not really the person I missed or remember. It was the particular person I was.

Come to think of it, we often connote our hang-ups on persons -- on an ex-boyfriend, our parents, a lost friend, an enemy, a lover -- when what we're really having an issue with was the very person we were at that particular moment...

I have just come to realize that now while I was thinking of the person who reminds me so much of this movie and of this song. I was just about to think how I must continue to have feelings for that person when I stopped.

Being truthful to myself I realized it was not the person that I missed but the moment. More appropriately, I missed the person I was at that particular stage of my life.

I was... naive, idealistic, believed so much in magic and happy ever afters... I believed in fate, in serendipity... I believed in synchronicity and true love. Oh I still believe in all of those things. But there's a big difference when one is young and still not through certain harsh realities. Then, I believed in all of those things with tenacity, with a passion...

Now, being through relationships, being a wife and having faced the realities of married life, I look at "love" and certain things now a little differently...

So I guess it's a bit natural to miss those days when I do not know any better. At that time when I view life through rose-colored lenses. Somehow, then, everything was "romanticized." Even poignant experiences are regarded bitter-sweet. For all it was worth, I like the intoxication it brought me... Somehow, there was a purpose to the pain, disappointments were a lot easier to accept.

Oh, I still continue to believe on how there is a purpose to everything. More so now when I'm more mature and could be more truthful to myself about things than before. Still, sometimes it's so nice to think about the past and how simple life seemed...

For "You," thanks for all the beautiful conversations shared.... They meant more than you'll ever know...

2 comments:

JP said...

beautiful, rod.

Tata said...

Thanks Jen :)