Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Remembering...

I remember this particular incident during my latest trip to Iloilo which I certainly found very funny and ironic. I have this tendency to treat life as one journey, littered now and then with funny and amusing incidents -- thrown to me by the fates or by my light-hearted, full of sense of humor, Father God. So what could be a sense of frustration by some people would be something really amusing for me. Oh I do have my moments, as well, where I get disappointed, frustrated and hurt. I am only human after all.

But having this healthy, light-hearted disposition in life is something that I hold close to my being, because, I feel closer to my God this way. Somehow having this demeanor only strengthens my faith and my belief that – (a) I have a relationship with my Father God; (b) that He is alive in me and working wonders in my life; (c) that He knows every minute detail of my soul, desires and wants; and (d) that by being so, every now and then he teases me with “magical,” amusing experiences, knowing full well I would see Him in them.

I am remembering all of these because I am currently plugged in to my head phones while working on a report. And a while back, a song that is a favorite from the past came full blast along with a memory of that Iloilo trip.

We had arrived very early in Iloilo City having caught the 6:30 am flight. We did not have breakfast yet but we headed straight to the bus terminal, hoping to catch the earliest bus leaving for Roxas City. I was intent about making a lead time. We still have a long trip ahead of us, after all. We intend to sleep at Boracay on that very same day.

Yeah, some kind of a travel companion I am, trying to squeeze in as many things as I could for every travel I took hehe Well, I just want to maximize time and resources -- seizing every moment. Besides, I also make sure that the quality of travel does not suffer thus the incredible amount of research I put into planning an entire travel IT hehe Sometimes I wonder if I should add this to my CV as one of my core competencies hehe Hmm.. maybe I should :)

Anyway, the very second my rear end connected to the seat of the bus, a very familiar music came blaring through the speakers of the bus – Christopher Cross’ “Swept Away.” I almost laughed out loud but stopped myself lest the others might begin to question my sanity hehe I was really so amused. I just shook my head and muttered, “God, really…” Well, it’s a theme song of sorts for a “used-to-be-significant-other’ hehehe That he is residing in Iloilo now and that I am at that very instant in Iloilo while listening to the very song was really too much of a coincidence.

I had closed that chapter of my life a long time ago and was not thinking of him at all while I was planning for the trip. Well, I must admit though that previous trips that work took me in Iloilo always had me edgy as I thought of the possibility of seeing him again. But that was a long, long time ago. And as I think about the whole thing now, I was really just infatuated with the idea of him and not of him as the real person. I hardly knew him after all. But the song was really a fitting theme song at that time. I still like the song when I hear it every now and then but the association with that particular experience is starting to fade.

It’s really just amazing how God could intervene with every minute detail of your life. I treated that Iloilo incident as one of His teasing forays. Indeed He knows me full well and I find great comfort in that. It is very comforting knowing that while I may get confused at times as to what I really want, I know He knows me better than I do. Knowing this and the fact that He actually is in control of my life reassures me. I know He knows even my deepest desire and wish and that I need not have to ask openly for them. I am in His hands, what could be more comforting than the thought of that? :)

No comments: