Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Oh! Forest

Talked with Forest yesterday over Skype. She immediately blurted out, "Miss na kita, Nay! Mingaw ang bahay wala ka." (I miss you, Nanay! The house is quiet without you). Now in hindsight, I could not help but smile.  I wonder if she was referring to the times I've been nagging her and Kuya (and practically everyone in the house) for it being such a miss and for not picking up after themselves.
But at that instant, I felt my heart drop.  I knew then what she meant.  Coz just the night before that I also struggled going to sleep, lying on the bed without feeling her beside me.

She then told me she had a surprise for me going up the stairs.  She showed me a tidy hallway, a clean bin with the broom right beside it.  All her handiwork. And my heart expanded.  That was never clean whenI was at home. There was always some things lying on the floor (either her toys or Kuya's mess). The bin would be overflowing with bottles of sugary drinks (Kuya's!!!) and some other stuff.  At times a bunch of trash would be swept at one side with the broom next to it.  It was a disaster and a scene that readily pushed my button. So when she showed me she cleaned it all, I knew she really must miss me...

That very same day, in the morning, we also had a quick call.  I was getting ready for the office.  It was 6 AM my time.  It meant around noon in theirs.  It was a good thing she was on a health break from school.  She was home.  It was Tatay who called me so I immediately asked for her -- "Si Forest, Tay?"  Tatay directed the phone towards his left where Forest apparently was lying down, trying to take a nap.  In jest, Tatay said, "Diara o, pangit na Forest." (Here's the ugly Forest).  I was expecting an exclamation of protest.  Instead she was besides herself with mirth, laughing so hard.  So I asked, "What is so funny?"  She replied in between laughter, "Sabi niya kasi pangit ako. Eh mana ako sa kanya so pangit rin siya! Hahahaha!"  (Because he's saying I'm ugly but I look like him. So it means he's ugly too! Hahaha!)   Haaay, this kid!


I miss you everyday, Anak. I miss your arms around me.




No comments: