Monday, July 15, 2019

Odd

Last night, I had dinner with a colleague whom I've met for the first time in Addis Ababa some two or years back.  It was for a week-long learning review.  The odd thing was, it turns out that she and I will also be based, at the same time, again in Africa but in a different country this time --Kenya.  It'sreally funny how life works.  Sure, I know that humanitarian field is such a small world and you're bound to bump into someone you've worked with in a response somewhere.  But yeah, it's just funny thing is that you meet a lot of people along the way and there are those you think are just on a one-off thing and then only to have life surprise you down the road, a little later. 

Another odd thing is that I find myself in such a colorful country (continent as I will be travelling to another one in two week's time) just when I'm on a self-imposed to-wear-all-white-tops only state. It's as if life has conspired to make sure my days at this time would not be so bleak.  It's as if I am being cheered up from the sidelines as I give myself time to grieve.

But yes, as I look at the colorful fabrics here I can't help but think of Mama.  Of how she would love the fabrics here; of how there would be no more skype calls to tell her how colorful things are here.

Last week, tears just came when I made a mental note of what to buy from here (if I have the time) for home. I stopped short when it dawned on me that there would be no more buying pasalubongs for Mama.

Indeed they say life goes on and it comes with many surprises.  I am busy now with work and other responsibilities but often, grief also has a funny way of sneaking on you during odd moments.  I am grieving for you,Mama. It is not easy and yet somehow I feel your presence and how you're making certain that life goes on for me.  Even in death you are making your love felt.  May you rest in peace and find happiness where you are now, in God's loving embrace. 

No comments: