Sunday, January 08, 2023

Raising Children (Hello 2023)

Funny how the last post here seemed to have the finality to it.  I certainly felt that way at that time.  In the end, Tatay wooed us all and showed us how he values us above everything else.  Everyday I see him work on himself and there are also days when he is someone I could dislike the most.  And I do and let him know exactly that.  

Last year, there was no entry at all and it is such a shame as there are a lot of moments with the children that I should have penned.  I manage sometimes to share snippets in facebook as it is the most accessible and I could squeeze it in between work tasks.  

In hindsight, maybe that is partly why I have stopped blogging for a while. I've been very busy at work and opening up a blog to write just take up so much time.  I want to go back to it though.  Growing up "with" the children is such a rich experience I want to pen down most of my moments and conversations with them.  Lest, the time would come when I'd be feeble-minded and forget everything.  Most of my moments with the children (both happy and trying times) are the good stuff.  And it is always good to document all of them, if I could.

Yesterday there was one such moment.  We were driving home from Gen San when Tatay noticed something fell on the road from the girl riding the motorcycle in front of us.  Tatay stopped and ran back to retrieve whatever it was, as it might be something important.  It turned out to be a cellphone.  

The scene in the car after that was quite funny.  Had some of the nephews shouting, "turn it off, turn it off."  Tatay and myself on the other hand said, "No, don't. Keep it on."  Forest and her other cousins were  quite confused but was visibly excited too.  

Tatay drove fast to overtake the girl so we could return the phone.  It became obvious then to everyone that the intent was to return the phone to the owner.  On this Forest suddenly said, "Maka-proud," obviously renewing  Tatay's record as a "hero" in her books.  Simon also quipped, "Best Tatay ever!" Haha!

Everyone grew quiet and started to relax also still excited about catching up with the motorcycle.  She was quite fast though and when she turned towards the inter-city roads, we lost her completely.  Tatay then stopped, noting the police patrol car at the intersection.  He handed the phone to the police who thanked him profusely with one of them sharing he lost his phone the other day as well but it was never returned.  They said they would be waiting for the owner to call the phone so they could return it to her.  

I didn't know Tatay heard what Forest said about being proud.  Apparently he did and can't stop thinking about it.  He was quite happy talking about it until this morning and even urged me to write about it hehehe He said, "Unsa to ingon ni Forest, Nay? Proud daw siya?" smiling sheepishly like a little boy and obviously very pleased with himself :) He shared he worries about the owner having important calls and numbers and then losing them if the phone is not returned.  Indeed!


No comments: