Monday, January 09, 2023

Raising Daughters Pt. 2

 Before that whole snuggling, teen-ager conversation thing in the car, Forest came to me complaining about how she felt uncomfortable in her shorts.  I then looked for the spare yoga pants I brought with me.  It has floral prints on it.  The top she had on has large leaves printed on it too.  Both large prints actually clashed so I told her, "Here, wear this. It does not quite match (your top) but it should be fine.  We are going straight home and not dropping somewhere. Nobody would be seeing you and what you're wearing.  Why wear that in the first place, if it was uncomfortable? You know we are travelling."

She looked hesitant about changing so I left her with the pair and went back to the cousins.  She caught up with me though only to say, "Nanay, in the first place, I'm not wearing this (gesturing to her entire get up) to please other people.  I dress up for me. I dress up to make ME happy not other people. So it does not matter if people see me or not. I'm not wearing this though (the yoga pants). And I'm fine with the shorts.  Not really uncomfortable. It was the seat  meant!" Then she turned her back to me, leaving me speechless.  Murag korek.  Dress up for me indeed.  Maka-happy though.  

No comments: