Monday, January 09, 2023

Raising Daughters

 Yesterday. Forest snuggling to me in the car as we are travelling home from Gen San: Teen-ager na ako, Nay (in June, on her birthday).

Me: Oo nga. (I wonder though what led her to such thoughts and what she is thinking).
I added quietly, "Nanay will be tough. If you are aryat-aryat."
Forest replying earnestly: I know. Pagalitan mo lang gud ako Nay kung mag aryat-aryat ako...
Then she straightened up and asked: What is aryat-aryat, Nay? In clothes?!
Hehe I actually don't know exactly, Anak, to be honest hehe It's a family term I grew up with. (And one she has heard often enough.). Let me ask the olds in the family. But we could also define it between us. (It is a critique thrown our way (but never said harshly) when we "girls" are out of line in some ways.)
I don't want you to lose your voice or smother your power as you are growing up... But I don't want you to go overboard either. My moral compass might be defined by how I was raised, though I try so hard to be more conscious about it too and unlearn the things I should. But I know there would be times I'd be unmindful because I'm tired or because it comes out as a default sub-consciously. Let us be each other's critique and always have that conversation... I love you so much.

No comments: