Thursday, March 03, 2005

Small is beautiful. I am exactly where I am meant to be.

Feeling a bit tired. The whole trip yesterday, surprisingly took a toll on my body. I had a difficult time getting out of bed this morning. I wanted so much to just linger there and go back to sleep. But I had to go to the office. The project, having officially started yesterday meant there are a lot of things that needed to be done. So quite unwillingly, I dragged myself out of bed and here I am.

Yesterday's trip was... definitely something. The night before, I saw in the news that two bombs were found very near the KCC Mall in General Santos City. Yup, not just one but two. And yes, that following dawn I am going to where they had just found those two bombs. It's nothing new, however. That my job would take me to where others might avoid going is something I have gotten used to already. It's all part of what I do. Besides, I always adhere to the principle that whether standing or sleeping, in one's home or somewhere less secure, if it's your time to go then it's your time to go, no matter when and where you are. So I wasn't really apprehensive about taking the trip. I must confess though that when I boarded the bus and found several boxes lined up in the center aisle, I grew a bit insecure. he-he-he =) Not only once or twice have I caught myself eyeing the box suspisciously. =)

I read somewhere some time ago that in the everyday of your life, one is always afforded a "magic" moment (or "moments," if one is lucky enough). And that you would just have to be vigilant and aware enough to be able to tell that such moment has come or is taking place. I believe in that, although sometimes I forget it and a day has passed without my being aware that something magical had taken place...

Yesterday's magical moment occured during our conversation with Ms. Mimi back at Koronadal. We were sorting out the details of the project, levelling off with our expectations as to how the project would go. Then it happened. I have been voicing out some concerns with regards to the readiness of the community in what the project intended to do. We were also talking about the possible approaches to use to ensure, not only our being able to to achieve our objectives but most importantly that the project would really be able to help and leave something for the community.

That entire conversation was magic to me. That is exactly how I'd want "project discussions" to be -- wrought with sincerity. More often than not, the focus would be on the deliverables.Sometimes, it is hardly asked whether or not the project would really be something that the community would want for themselves or whether or not the implementers' desired outcome points to the same "direction" the community sees themselves taking. I am not saying that everyone's doing this. It's just that sometimes, I've seen implementers more focused on meeting their deliverables and deadlines than anything else... (Yeah, I do have some issue with regards to this...)

I felt my world stop a bit when Ms. Mimi said, "Yeah, I always believe that small is beautiful," affirming that what we intend to accomplish is really just a "small" thing but our sincerity to help, more than made up for that seeming "smallness." She is right. Small is indeed beautiful. A thing doesn't have to be big and "grand" to be able to make a difference.

The day before I left for South Cotabato, I sat in my desk thinking I have forgotten all about my childish dream of being able to make a difference. I have forgotten that it was that dream that led me to this desk today. Have I really forgotten, I wouldn't be sitting at this desk right now tackling gantt charts, session guides and project proposals. Have I forgotten, I wouldn't be waking up really early to catch a dawn busride to where others wouldn't dare go. Small is beautiful. My efforts are small but my heart is big enough to make up for that minuteness.

No comments: