Monday, October 29, 2007

Chicken Joy Too!


The first time I wrote an entry of the same title, it was about my relatives teasing me on how Baby is going to miss one-half of his childhood. What with his being deprived of the taste and aroma of the primary staple food of today’s modern kids – Chicken Joy. This was in reference to our being vegetarians and our wanting to raise Baby to be one as well.

In that past entry, I wrote about how it would ultimately be Baby’s choice in the end but how we, as parents would try to instill in him the value of being vegetarian. And of course, we’re really hoping he’d turn out to be one…

I think I wrote that entry when Baby was barely 6 months old. Fast track that to about a year later and here I am writing about the wonder and “joy” of Baby’s having his first taste of chicken.

Yup! It was such a horrifying experience for both Bolo and I. But it was something we found truly amusing also.

There had been instances wherein teasing friends and family would goad Baby into eating meat. There were countless of them in the past. In all instances, Baby passed the test with flying colors. He would take one look at what is being offered him and then ignore it completely. In all cases, I would find myself sighing in relief and literally swelling with pride hehehe In my mind, I have taught Baby well and it seems to me I am successful in raising a vegetarian-from-birth Baby.

But I guess being surrounded with food – vegetables and meat alike, Baby have a choice. It’s totally different I guess if you’re really hungry and you have right in front of you a piece of chicken that smells quite nicely.

Our flight to Manila was awfully delayed. It was totally unexpected. We came prepared though and have with us some instant oatmeal porridge for Baby. But I guess it did not have much appeal to him that night.

When we were informed that dinner will be provided and found out it’s going to be Jollibee’s Chicken Joy, Bolo and I did not join the others in queuing up. It was chicken anyway. On the last minute, I urged Bolo to get one so we could feed Baby the rice. We could not have him without supper. And so he did. He got us some drinks as well.

And so we laid it down in front of us. We looked around for some co-passengers whom we think we could offer the chicken to without being offended or anything. Those who were seated close to us were mostly elderly. It was obvious that one, big piece of chicken was enough for them. We scouted for some who would appear to still be wanting some.

It was a bad idea to wait though. While Bolo was feeding Baby his fifth spoonful of rice, laced with the gravy that goes with the chicken, Baby grab a hold of the chicken and took a bite. Bolo and I were horrified. And well, dismayed. It’s such an overreaction I know but I felt as if I was kicked right in my stomach. All my dreams of raising Baby a vegetarian flew right out of the terminal’s window that very instant. I was that OA hehehe But I was greatly amused too. When Baby took another bite, we grabbed the camera and documented the whole experience.

When Baby spat out the chicken (yes, he did!) I was so beside myself with glee hehehe Of course we were still concerned that Baby might go hungry and so would have welcome his having to eat the chicken. But as selfish as it may sound, I was really glad he did not like it at all :)

I hope I’m not going to have another entry of the same title detailing how Baby finally enjoys his chicken meal… Heaven forbid! :)






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tunga

wahahha ni kaon jud xa sa chiken joyy?? well wla gihapon noh kay giluwa man nya..hahaaa...


amoa na lng unta padala ninyo hehe:)

miss u guys!!

Tata said...

hehehe pag kwento bitaw namo kina mama fely ana siya sa inyo na lang daw unta tong chicken joy hehehe

we miss all of you too...