Sunday, July 15, 2018

And So We Talked Again

I'm so happy today since Kuya Rod indulged me with a Skype conversation that stretched minutes and not just a few seconds as before.  While he still refused to look at the camera, he was chatty as he used to be with me.

Well, it had been awhile.  Him become a teen (and most likely trying to find himself as well), Rod is more intent about being on his own, being glued to his phone.  He even refuses to go out with us on occasions, often just opting to be at home. Even if it means he would be left there on his own.  It is breaking my heart, missing how we used to connect in the past.  He is after all my best friend before (even when he was merely 3).  We never talk down on him and even early on, he showed every indication of being such an old soul.  So when he was merely a toddler, he acts as if me and my friends (his Tita's Candy, Jeni, Rochelle) are his circle of friends as well. 

But yes, it felt great to be talking again and to have him "ask my permission" on whether he ought to buy bluetooth earphones or not.  That he did not insist and listened to what I had to say were to me an indication that he still values my opinion although at times, these days, he could be pretty stubborn. 

I had to give a lecture on burn brain cells and had to assure him I'll pay for standard earphones when he needs one (his argument had been -- Nanay, earphones are very expensive! Blue tooth ones cost half of it!).  I had to strongly tell him to take care of his earphones though so we would not be throwing good money away. 

We got to talk about musical instruments as well to which he strongly voice his objection.  Haaaaay.  I could not force the issue though.  He mentioned how costly it is to have lessons and I had to tell him Nanay doesn't mind having to scrimp on some things so we could afford him one.  He said he would rather pay for wifi as nowadays, kids are pretty high-tech already.  I was indignant of course and told him as much (although now I suspect that he was just saying that to get the exact reaction from me).

So yeah, I'm praying the relationship would continue, teenage angst notwithstanding.  I guess it helped when I texted him last Thursday as to how I thought of him that day (and everyday) and how he can always count on Nanay to fight his battles for him as well, in a way he would want me too.

Well, that is true, Rod. Nanay might not be always at your side now.  Please know that I am always thinking of you and pray for what is best for you.  If I have such heartfelt well wishes for friends and others, so much more for you, my children.  I love you to the moon and back, Kuya. Always remember that.

No comments: