Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Bangladesh Chronicles: "Data Gathering"

The silence in the room was palpable.  I was conducting an FGD with women-- both representatives of the Host Community and refugees.  As in every FGD I facilitate, I tried my best to explain the purpose of the discussion and asked if they have any questions.  When there was none, I proceeded with the first question on my list -- "What are your priorities now?" And the answers came pouring in -- food, proper shelter, gas stoves, medicines, toilet...

Then came the next question, "How about three years from now? Do you think your priorities would change by then?  What would they be?"

I knew when I finalised the questions for the FGD that this is a question I had to handle carefully.  After all, how could  one ask them to think of something far beyond their current situation?  But nothing prepared me from seeing the shocked expression from their faces after I asked the question. Indeed, from the looks on their faces, it is something that they never thought about up until I brought it up.

Perhaps, in their case, they are still coming to terms with their immediate past, the horrors that they had faced. Perhaps, they are being weighed down by their day to day concerns-- where to get their next meal; longing for a better house than what they currently have; how to address the needs of ailing family members; or wishing and hoping that things are safe enough back home so they could go back.

Who are we then to ask them about tomorrow, plans for the next three months.. for the next year when everyday that comes is uncertain in itself?



No comments: