Thursday, August 16, 2007

Baby's First Fun Run

Since 2003, I've consistently participated in the Jollibee Family Fun Runs that is usually held every summer. I have t-shirts at home to prove it. I missed the 2006 run though since at that time I had just given birth to Baby and breastfeeding so I hardly could just flit off as I pleased.

I think that's ok though. I did not feel bad at all having missed it last year. At that time -- even now -- Baby always comes first :) But this year's run however, more than made up for it. Because, this year, it had truly become a "family" run for me. Baby ran along with me.

Err... I correct myself, I ran the full 3K length with Baby in my arms. Imagine that. By the time I covered the 1.5 K, my legs were groaning in protest haha! I fear an attack of the cramps. I'm afraid I might hurt myself and Baby as well. But, nothing of the sort happened. It was pretty tiring for my part though but I sure had fun.

Carrying Baby. Yeah, when we registered for the run, I was thinking I would allow Baby to run for a while only since I wouldn't want him really tired and stressed from the race. After all, we are only trying to expose Baby to the activity and not make a champion baby runner out of him. That, wouldn't be fun. It would be exploitation. Anyway, in the actual race however, Baby refuse to even let go of me. I think the crowd overwhelmed him. So I hugged him real close to me and pointed out to him some of the toddlers who were very happily running along. Some displayed signs of being tired though :)

Bolo and I had been really looking forward to this event. Last March, thinking the run would also be staged then, we even called up Jollibee when no announcements were being made. We were that eager to participate. We were actually looking forward to making it a big family event.

Bolo was so enthusiastic he would continuously urge me to ask when the run is going to be. He told me he had to know so he could still find the time to practice and to work out since it wouldn't be easy carrying a 10-kilo baby while running. Always the competitive, he said he had to be in real good shape for him and Baby to win hehehe Well, he did win before, that one time he ran with me. He placed third in the 5k male category, which is really something. I'm pretty sure he wanted to win again with Baby this time.

Ironically, he was not anywhere around us during the actual event. He had a prior commitment. He had to be at the climbathon activity EDGE was staging at Samal. He was urging me not to join. He said he worries about not being there lest something untoward might happen. But I was adamant about joining. We've been looking forward to it for so long. While it's very disappointing that it won't be as we first pictured it to be -- him racing with Baby in his arms and most likely winning -- I was serious about exposing Baby this early on. Especially now that he so particularly love to run about.

To prove further how competetive Bolo is, the night before the run, he texted me wishing Baby and I luck and his hopes that we would win :p And we did make a good time -- 34:45 -- which is not bad considering I had to carry baby most of the way. We received a card at the end of the race, our numbers and time were noted. However, Baby and I did not wait for the awarding anymore. We waited for a while but the whole affair took so long... And Baby...errr... did his "every-morning-thing" hehehe Luckily, the CR of the mall was already open so I managed to clean him up enough to make him eager to run about again, always urging me to go up the stage where the Jollibee mascot was :)

Anyway, it was truly a fun race. I love having Baby along despite making it extra hard for me. I'm looking forward to more of the same... Hopefully Bolo could get to join us next year. God willing... :)










No comments: