Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Vegetarian Demo Cooking

The first time BK had a vegetarian demo cooking -- sometime last April -- Bolo and I both attended it. It turned out so well. Personally, I was very much appreciative of the fact that Bolo and I were in it together.

I've been attending BK activities, on and off, for the past five years. I took lessons four years ago too but never really came to finishing the advance courses. Work travels and eventually getting married and having Baby took its toll on me and my having time for myself.

I've been urging Bolo to join me in some of the activities but he was always dubious about attending. His excuse had always been that he is shy about talking in front of a lot of people. When I raised my brows at him, he pointed out there is a difference between being funny and jolly in an equally loud crowd; and sharing one's thoughts amidst a group of "serious" people.

But I was truly glad he joined me in the demo cooking then. Well, I must admit, he only said yes when I told him there wouldn't be any sharing taking place and that we'll only be there to learn about cooking. But really, he and I both love to cook, and learning new vegetarian dishes is always a welcome experience. So it did not took much cajoling for my part.

That time, we learned how to cook pakora, baked sayote, and vegetarian kare-kare. Pakora was simply sumptuous. Bolo however, took a liking to the baked sayote... The kare-kare was also delicious but we were not as excited as we do cook kare-kare at home.

A sharing did took place after we had our feast that followed the demo-cooking. We were asked to pick a "blessing" from a deck of cards and to read it aloud in front of the group. I was like giggling inside when Bolo threw me a horrified look. The funny thing was he was quick at choosing the front row thinking we would only be meditating. So it turned out he would have to read first. And as if the fates were playing a joke on him, he picked a blessing that has a very looooong description hehehe I certainly took pity on him and almost volunteered to read it for him hehe But he managed real fine. When we were out of the center though he was like poking me big time and accused me of lying about there being no "sharing." I told him I didn't know there was going to be any afterwards. Jeni, who also attended the session, was laughing at us big time. But she commended Bolo and assured him he did fine. All in all, it was a pleasant experience, something I will always remember with fondness.

Last Saturday -- August 11 -- there was another demo cooking. Bolo had to be at Samal for a climbathon activity. Candy, whom I had already invited to a previous BK activity, came with me. Jeni had a prior commitment too so she wasn't able to join us. But Candy and I were really excited about the activity and I was really glad I did not have to convince her to come with me. Well, Candy had always been a self-confessed "carnivorous." I think in her past life she used to be a lioness, what with her temper and all... hehehe joke! :)'Love you, Kends :)

It was again a pleasant experience with no less than Ms. Mila Teves teaching us along with Sister Shanti. Dishes prepared in that session were -- (1) Tofu Teriyake, (2) Sweet and Sour Tofu (Vinegarless), (3) Embutido, and (4) Spicy Eggplant.

The spicy eggplant was a winner so is the teriyake but I was excited about learning the S/s Tofu since it was prepared the natural way, without using any vinegar. And I might add it tasted so good too. Well, all four dishes were great, as expected. Recipes are as follows:

Tofu Teriyake

Ingredients:

Salabat
Brown Sugar
Soy Sauce (Coconut brand)
1/2 kilo Tofu
cornstarch

For garnish:
Sesame seeds
Mongo sprouts
parsley

Procedure:
1. Fry tofu and set aside.
2. For the teriyake sauce, pour 1 1/2 cup of water in a pan; Add 3 tbsp salabat, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tsp salt, 3 tbsp brown sugar, and 3 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in water.
3. Cook sauce over low fire until it thickens.
4. Pour sauce over fried tofu.
5. Sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
6. Garnish with steamed mongo sprouts and a sprig of parsley.


S/s Tofu

Ingredients:

Ginger, red and green bell pepper, turnips, fresh tomatoes, green papaya, pineapple chunks, carrots, brown sugar, and cashew nuts

Procedure:

1. Slice tofu into strips (fish fillet cut)
2. Pour 1 1/2 cup of water in a pan
3. Add ginger strips, tomatoes, pineapple, 1 tsp salt, 3 tbsp. brown sugar.
4. Add the carrots, turnips, bell peppers and 2 1/2 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water.
5. Top with unsalted cashew nuts


Vegetarian Embutido

Ingredients:

Boiled Saba (grated), Magic Meat Flakes, pickle relish, vegetarian sausage, tomato sauce, red bell pepper - boiled and scraped from skin, salt, sugar, black pepper, cheese pimiento

Procedure:

Mix all ingredients. Roll in foil and steam for 30 minutes. Refrigerate overnight for best results.


Spicy Eggplant

Ingredients:

Eggplant, oil, ginger, siling labuyo, mustard seed powder, lemon, sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch, salt.

Procedure:

1. Peel eggplant
2. Slice in strips (quarters)
3. Fry in oil

Sauce:

1. Sautee ginger
2. Add chilies, mustard seed powder, lemon, sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch and salt to taste
3. Pour on top of fried eggplant

No comments: