Sunday, January 21, 2007

Crazy Over K Stories (Searching for Full House)



Credits to: astralyz who posted this over at youTube.

For some time now, I’ve been having an affair with Korean Telenovelas. No, I’m not so crazy about it enough to want to have a copy of everything there is in the market. My preferences lean towards the funny ones – comedy-romance.

I remember watching a very poor VCD copy of “Sassy Girl” (the movie not the telenovela) in 2005 and I guess it made quite an impression on me. It was a very poor copy alright where some scenes would just freeze and refuse to budge for some time but I stuck with it till the end. It was that good. And that started it for me, I guess.

I was on my maternity leave when I stumbled upon, “First Love of a Royal Prince.” It starred the male lead of the Sassy Movie so I got stuck with it. It became an afternoon habit. I got so hung up on it that I even took to bringing with me a cousin’s palm-size TV to the office by the time I got back to work at the end of my leave. It was already on its last two weeks episodes then and it was quite a shame to pass it all up. I ended up peering at it during my afternoon coffee breaks.

I bought my first DVD only August of last year – “My Girl.” It was not even for me. Bolo was so crazy about the series that I bought him a copy when I chanced upon it one time. It was a mistake.

There are about 16 episodes in one DVD which is the entire series already. They would run that whole thing as a TV soap, for what, two months? Mondays thru Fridays? Imagine wanting to compress that 2 months worth of airing time in one sitting because the story line is developing so well you would be loathe not to continue watching it? Bah, it was virtually impossible. I would not accomplish anything every weekend as I would just be sitting there glued to the TV, catching up on where I left off.

After “My Girl,” I bought “Kim Sam Soon” last October. I went through the cycle all-over again – really late nights and unproductive weekends. I remember telling a friend I don’t know what it is about the stories that appealed to me so much. It’s like falling in love really hehehe There is something about the significant other that you like so much but could not quite put a finger to. The same applies for the KTs I bought. I guess it was how these stories are presented – quite simply.

Compared to our telenovelas, KTs have less complicated plots. I mean they don’t start out with a mother losing a baby at birth and thus the husband or some close kin would have to resort to some baby-switching to amend the situation. I swear, “baby-switching” has like become a formula already in making telenovelas in this country. If it is not the main plot, then it is a sub-plot.

KTs, on the other hand, are simpler. They also present situations for their characters realistically. And, to top it all, they are light to watch unlike ours wherein you would normally see the main character crying all the time. No censure here though.

By November I bought “Lovestory in Harvard.” It was also good but I still liked “Kim” better. Then I chanced upon “Full House.” It was like watching “Kim” all over again. I really enjoyed it. So imagine watching that and you are well on your 9th episode already when halfway-through the tape would suddenly take you all the way back to the first episode. Yeah it sure sucked.

For a month I was like suffering from withdrawal symptoms hahaha I can’t stop thinking about the series and wondering what comes after episode 9 hehehe And so for a month I searched and searched everywhere but still could not find a copy. I even asked around if there is a way I could order a copy. I was that crazy about it.

Last December 28th Bolo and I went to the market to buy some fruits in advance. We knew the prices of which will skyrocket in the following days. Anyways, in view of my obsession, I told Bolo I will be dropping by a nearby store that sells DVDs. He accompanied me anyway. I knew it was a waste of time but I wanted to take my chances.

I was right, of all the stalls there, not a single one had a copy of Full House. To ease my disappointment, I settled to buy another one of Kim Rae Won’s – “Which Star Are You From?” The title sounded cheesy I know hehehe But hey, Rae Won is the lead star and I’ve seen him before and liked him so…

But guess what? When we reached home, Bolo told me he had a gift for me for New Year and that I’ll get it on the eve of the 31st. My response was instantaneous – I shrieked in excitement hehehe

I know Bolo well. He’s not one who’s good at surprises. He could never contain himself. More often, he would be too pleased with himself and too happy for the person he wanted to surprise that he could hardly wait for the perfect timing. So I immediately knew he was able to buy a copy of Full House hehehe And I was so right too! :)

The above clip, I chanced upon YouTube while browsing this afternoon. I couldn’t believe I wasted an entire afternoon chasing one OST to the next hehehe I sure had fun though. This particular clip is from Kim Sam Soon and one of my favorites scenes. This, by the way, is also a favorite song of mine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe i was able to watch some episodes of kim sam soon, twas funny and we in the family also were an avid fan of full house when it was still aired in ABS-CBN (did i get it right?)i'm a tv ignorant right now, i only get to watch tv 5 or 6 times a month :(( but if given the chance i always try to catch up the episodes in pawnshop no 8 shown in Qtv every afternoon (recommended by jam) and the rest of my tv sessions are spent with anime's (samurai x, this i'm an avid fan jud since studio 23 days) and dvd's. daghan ganahan sa kt's kay mubo ra stories and direct to the point, dli preha sa pinoy na magdagdag bawas na ang mga characters moabot pa jud og pila ka episodes mka bored! one thing also is that kikay au mga characters and cute! heheh remember the leading lady in full house? cute sa?--gbsanch

Tata said...

Hi Glad! Full House I think was aired at GMA. I was not able to catch it myself :) But I heard so much about it that I decided to buy a DVD copy. I'm glad I did :)

Is Pawshop No. 8 good? I heard they are going to air Full House again at GMA. I just dont know when. I wouldnt mind watching it again :) I would like to see how they they would do it in Tagalog. DVDs have subtitles only so it wud be fun seeing them without having to pay attention to the subtitles.

And yeah the lady lead in Full House is indeed very cute :)