Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Little Feet, Little Hands

Something really cute happened today. I arrived home from work real tired. It's not because I was real busy at work. Well, I was, having to rush a budget for a project I'm working on and having to contend with a real slow internet connection. I attributed the tiredness on the weather though. It's been raining all week and it is making everyone lethargic. All of that evaporated, however, when I reached home.

As usual, B and Baby are upstairs so I have to wait awhile before they go down and open the front door for me. Ever since Baby was just an infant we already had this ritual -- I wait by the door, Bolo or the yaya would be going down bringing Baby along. They would be peering at me through the stairs. Baby would squeal the minute he spots me. Sometimes I would have to call him. He would then turn to me with his beaming face that never fails to tug at my heart, evaporating my tiredness in an instant. They would then disappear from my view as they pass through the kitchen to open the front door for me. The highlight would be Baby holding out his hand to me, and my engaging him in a tight hug.

This afternoon that routine changed. B put Baby down by the kitchen door and told him to open the door for his Nanay. And he did just that. Though the screen door I saw him wobbling and traveling the distance towards me. When he reached out for the lock and opened it himself, I was definitely floored. Pride and joy filled my being I felt like exploding with it. It was the best greeting I've ever had yet... Then it hit me -- my baby sure is growing up fast... But there's not a hint of sadness there. If anything, I'm looking forward to witnessing Baby's development. Everytime he does something new, manage to do a task by himself, I felt as if I won the lottery or something. It is always a joyous occasion.

No comments: