Thursday, August 03, 2006

Happy Birthday Tatay!


Bb Bullets: Hehe let's see who gets most of the pasta Tay!
Goofing around during yesterday's birthday celeb of Bolo.



Bb Bullets: Really love linguini! you want some Nanay? :)


The above pictures are taken last night while both my "boys" are goofing around with pasta while I rush with the cooking. Yesterday was Bolo's birthday. I practically ache all over from putting in so much effort. The pasta was cooked the loooong, authentic Italian way. Translate that to -- boil tomatoes, peel them (have your fingers scalded hehe), run them through the food processor, chop the onion and the garlic, parsley and basil; have the olive oil heated... you get the picture. It was arduous but it's the only way I know B and I enjoy our pasta so... And it wasn't just the pasta I prepared huh! Not complaining though. I always loved to cook. Just don't really have the time for it.

Chatted with Candy earlier and I asked her if it's in the women's genes to really put in so much effort for special occasions and particularly during the hubby's birthday. In almost the same breath, we also asked if it's in the genes of the guys to really wander away from the nest at times. Not really to be unfaithful or anything of the sort but just be with their friends. Remembering the past lectures I had on science and anthropology (hehehe) I guess it figures. It's the female species' role to give the nurturing, to take care of the hearth while it is the males' role to go out and hunt for food for the family. Hmmm... on that note, I wonder if the males of today have already started noticing that the Stone Age have come and gone? Yeah, yeah having some domestic issues on the matter hehehe And it's an entirely different subject I intend to muse about and probably write about some time soon.

Back to last night, it was fun. I loved putting things together for Bee. Knowing he "lacked" on certain things while growing up, I was adamant to fill in some of those in the years to come. I started with the "gelatin" last night. It's a long story. I made Bee a special gelatin recipe because he never had it while he was a kid. Just like the pasta it was such a long process that it took me the whole morning just to finish the whole thing. When my relatives started coming, I laid it down on the table and watched in consternation when the kids started to take slices off from it. Let's just say I placed in much effort on the presentation for Bolo's sake and was quite dismayed he wasn't there to see the whole thing -- or the thing still whole hehehe. I looked and looked for him and at the same time eyeing the gelatin slowly disfiguring right before my eyes as slices upon slices are being taken off of it. I found out he went out to buy some beer. I really had to track him down, urged him to come home in a hurry because I wanted him to see the gelatin in all its glory. He tried to comfort me by saying he had seen it already while it was still in the refrigerator when he got home from work. I told him that that was different because it was still in its molding. I wanted him to see it when it was finally laid down.

Now, looking back I could laugh at myself. It's pretty obvious that I was again at my OC tendencies last night. But really, I painstakingly cooked color upon color of gelatin, one by one, because I wanted to achieved the effect of having the colors shine through the white gelatin that would piece them all together. In my opinion (and I'm biased of course! hehehe) it truly was a work of art and its intended beneficiary was not there to see it for himself. So that kind of ruined it for me haha! Thus my urgency to have Bolo see it. Really, how passionate I could get over things sometimes! And i realized B is not really that particular about the details. I knew he had seen all the effort I put in and that's what he appreciated the most. It's not so much as a big deal to him whether I prepared him a pancake that's lopsided or the gelatin last night. In fact when I asked him to rub my back and complained how tired I was, he chided me for doing all the cooking when he wouldn't have minded if he had food for his birthday or not. But hey, it's in our genes, remember? hehe And that's just how things are. I know that birthday or not, I would still love to put things together for B. Because he had done so for me for a lot of times. So it really just flows naturally. He is kind to me, he takes care of me and I can't help it but reciprocate.

Happy birthday B! Wishing you all the best and all of God's blessings. You made me very happy when you told me you went to church, heard a bit of the Mass and lighted three candles for you, for me and for Baby Bullets. I would gladly cook the whole day for you again should you ask me to. Praying for a good year ahead for you and more years to come. Wab u! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ate haha we laughd at dis picturr itss soo cute...mag ama tlga..haha..wish we were der to celebrate t2 bolos..bday ..greet mo na lng kmiiiiii ha ehehe

Anonymous said...

tunga says haha we really laughd at diz picturess..so cute..'' mag ama'' tlga noh haha..lyk father lyk son..wish we wer der to celebrate t2 bolos bday...haha..he's growiin faster tlga n dat pictur na nsa cart xa haha..sobrang seryoso..kapiit tlga..mishooee all..regards sa tanan..hugs n kisses*