Thursday, August 31, 2006

Single Father

Last night, Baby Bullets, our two new housemates - Jenny and Sarah (the former one left us already), Baby Janine and I are all set to go to SM to buy some groceries. I also wanted to show Jenny and Sarah around as it is their first time in Davao. So I was practically aiming to hit two birds with one stone. Make that three birds, since I've also been wanting to spend some quality time with Janin also who is proving to be more of a nuisance lately. I'm suspecting she's harboring some jealousy towards Baby Bullets. It's understandable really since she used to be the apple of everyone's eyes. Well, she actually still is. It's just that there are two of them now and Baby Bullets being just a baby sure do need most of the attention.

Anyway, I had been waiting for Bolo to return my text, informing him of my intention to go to SM. I wanted him to meet us there. When I got no reply, I tried calling him but his phone was off. Imagine my dismay. I did not want to disappoint Jeni and Sarah and Janine. But I also could not risk having a hungry Bolo, arriving from work and finding the whole house dark and empty. And so with a heavy heart I told them that we would have to go some other time.

It turned out that Bolo was in fact in SM. I looked in consternation at the SM plastic bag he had with him when he finally got home. He bought Baby's first toothbrush and a big pack of baby wipes since Baby's supply is nearly gone. Imagine my dismay.

Anyway, he was already asleep when it dawned on me how cute my hubby really is. Imagine, he thought of buying Baby a toothbrush and some baby wipes. I've been telling him I wanted to buy Baby one but I certainly did not tell him to buy it himself. I wondered if he was the sole male customer at the Baby section of SM last night. Told him about it this morning. I asked him if he indeed was the sole male customer there, sans the wife of course, buying baby stuff. Most do come in pairs. He told me that in fact he was. He told me that when the salesgirls there remarked about it to him, he made up a story that he is a single father, his wife having left himto work abroad! Bah! I teased back he was probably hitting on some of the girls there. I got a frown in response so I dropped the subject hehehe Single father indeed! :p

Thank you B, for being so mindful of our little one. Hmm... how come you did not get me anything huh? :p Ah yeah, you handed to me all of your salary hehe.

2 comments:

Carmila said...

That's so sweet.

You know, I'm really starting to see the difference in men here and there. Here, it's pretty normal for men to actually do housework, and other stuff that normally women do.

I hate to admit it but really, men in the Philippines have this "macho" attitude. It's good to know that your hubby is actually capable of doing the "non-macho" stuff. :)

Tata said...

right with the macho stuff :) i guess bolo has that also but on other aspects. when it comes to his son and my suppossedly being the "homemaker" (as is the common expectations over here of wives), i think he had no such illusions. He pretty much does what he wants rin eh whether its being "unmacho" or not hehehe