Friday, February 25, 2005

The Greatest Waltz in the World

Last night, we stood in the middle of the room, barefoot. I was holding in one hand a Discman. We split the earphones between ourselves. Noel Cabangon croons,

"Ibig kong iduyan ka
sa king mga bisig,
Hahagkan
At yayakapin ng mahigpit...
Iduduyan ka....
Hahagkan at yayakapin...
Ihahanda ko ang daigig,
May pag-ibig sa paligid..."


I was trying to hold back the tears. I was choking up with my own emotions. I didn't want him to see my vulnerability. I didn't want him to guess that I was very much affected by this simple dance. It was supposed to be just fun, a play, being childish. But the moment felt very much intimate to me. It affected me to the very core. Then he reached up, held my face in both of his hands... I had closed my eyes by then, hoping to block the tears that were already streaming down my face. I was silently praying he wouldn't notice. If he had, he did not mention it. He just held me, smoothed the hair off my face. At one point he kissed me by the cheek were my tears lay. I'm not quite sure whether that is why he kissed me - to soothe away the tears. I didn't want to ask. It was such a tender moment. And one I'll never forget.

No comments: